Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Yarn Crawl: Photos and Thoughts

So here it is, my post about the North Shore Yarn Crawl. I needed a few days to really process the event because it was so much more amazing than I could have imagined. When I moved to Salem in 2009, Seed Stitch became my local yarn store - not only because I could walk there from our apartment, but because it is beautiful. The store is bright and spacious, and big comfy chairs invite people to stay a while, chat and make something. The Yarn Crawl started in 2010, organized by Courtney who is the fabulous owner of Seed Stitch. 2012 was its 3rd year.

January rolled around and talk of the 2012 crawl started. I excitedly pulled out my calendar to start planning my crawl route. Then I thought - how amazing would it be if I could be part of the event? So I rang up my faithful fibery partner Ady and we drafted a proposal: a hand-dyed yarn trunk show as one of the Yarn Crawl features. I sent it to Courtney, crossed my fingers and waited for her to tell me they were already booked and didn't have a place for us. Instead, I got an incredibly friendly and enthusiastic response saying she would love to have us. I could hardly believe it!

Two months later, we found ourselves setting up our tables as customers lined up outside, waiting for opening time. Then the doors opened - and a wonderful day started. Hundreds of people came to Seed Stitch. Everyone was amazingly friendly and super enthusiastic about our work. I can't remember the last time I smiled so hard! We met wonderful knitters from all over, made new friends and talked about upcoming knitting projects. The day ended too quickly, but I will always have wonderful memories.

Crawl3
Me and my table with a customer!
crawl1
Photos by Marykate Smith-Despres

Thank you so much to everyone who came out and helped make this day amazing! You can see more photos of the Yarn Crawl over on the Seed Stitch Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment