Thursday, August 16, 2012

The intersection between knitting and pigs


pig knitting pattern by mamma4earth

I don't remember if I've mentioned this before on the blog, but I moved around a lot growing up. Every 2-4 years, my family had to uproot and move to a new place because of my parents' work. Of course this means I got to travel a lot and experience many different cultures, but it also meant I was constantly losing friends. So I count my blessings to have one friend who has been my best friend for 18 years now. We talk almost every day, but only get together in person every 4-5 years. It just so happens I am picking her up at the airport in two days, and I am so excited!!

Where am I going with this? Well, she loves pigs. Since I first met her, she has been in love with the little pudgy creatures. In one of my bizarre daydreaming sessions, I found myself thinking, "She loves pigs, I love knitting... are there any pig knitting patterns?" And I was delighted to find that yes, there are indeed. The one pictured above is my favorite. I found lots of patterns that were a little too cutesy and quite honestly, sloppy. This one is just perfect!


knitted fetal pig dissection pattern

This one is admittedly a little morbid. I confess I cried in high school when they made me dissect a fetal pig. Seriously. They threatened to give me an F because they didn't think I could "really see all the parts through the tears." However, I fully endorse the knitted alternative. What do you think? Fun or gross?

I was very amused to find this intersection of our interests. Have you found any fun intersections like this?

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the most creative amazingly awesome things I have EVER seen knit up in my life!! I must share this with my world! ~FiberOlio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't if fantastic?? I dream of one day having the time to make my own.

      Delete