Monday, September 14, 2015

Book Review: A House in the Sky

I knew nothing about this book before I spotted it in a book store and the cover caught my eye. A House in the Sky is a memoir by Amanda Lindhout. In this memoir, Amanda recounts the 460 days she spent in captivity and the circumstances leading to her capture. She loved traveling the world, and would spend months saving money, and then months traveling. She found occasional work as an amateur photo journalist. During one of her trips, she was kidnapped by a group of religious extremists, along with Nigel Brennan.

House

This is not an easy book to read. As a woman kept in captivity by terrorists, she endures horrible torture and tragedy. Her story speaks of the resiliency of people in extreme situations, but it also makes one think about the circumstances that lead people to such violent action. Amanda's capture happens in Somalia, then considered the "most dangerous country on earth." Despite everything her captors put her through, in the end Amanda speaks of them with a certain amount of sympathy and understanding. Ultimately, this book is a harsh reminder of how varied life is around the world, and the degrees of suffering some people experience. It is brutal and graphic, but very educational. Nigel Brennan and his sister wrote their own account of his captivity in The Price of Life, which I haven't read.

Have you read A house in the Sky? I haven't had a chance to discuss it with anyone else yet, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the most difficult things that I had to do in my life. I remember how much time I spent on researching my topic. I used all the resources I could find that would complete the research to the end, it was my challenge that I took and found the strength to complete it all. A very large contribution was made by these guys write my research paper, I am grateful to them for this, because I had circumstances that would ruin my research, but they saved me and helped me to finish everything at the right time.

    ReplyDelete