Monday, April 15, 2013

We are the lucky ones

Today was marathon Monday in Boston. These are the pictures I was planning on posting today, but not the words. I woke up to a beautiful sunny day, and wanted to share what I've been making, and the pleasure I've been finding in small, simple things. But today took the most horrible of turns in the early afternoon when explosives went off in downtown Boston. I found out as I was putting the finishing touches on a knit piece.

weekend1

We are the lucky ones. My husband and I are safe, as are our friends. But our friends have friends who weren't safe, friends and family who are injured, whose lives are forever changed. All our lives are now changed, because a wound this deep affects all of us who live here. In the midst of this horror have been multiple reports of kindness and helpful strangers, of marathoners running to the hospitals to donate blood. I am relieved that kindness still exists, but the question I don't know how to answer is, how can we ever feel safe? Tomorrow we are supposed to go right back into your routines and schedules, as if something hadn't fundamentally changed, but it has. The truth is, I don't know how I will go about pretending tomorrow.

weekend12

I feel like I've written about too much heartbreak and sadness on this blog already, so many sad things have happened. Hoping that you and your loved ones are safe.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Ana, I'm so happy you and your loved ones are safe, but I am sorry you had to be so close to this. I'm sorry that anyone had to be close to this. Hope you're well.

    Gracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are safe, but I am so sorry to hear about your friends' friends. I am still in shock about what happened on Monday, and so saddened by it, but too have been relieved by the amazing kindness people have shown. And I feel like the days following have been so strange, in how normal they have seemed (at least here in Cambridge), when I know things are not normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, things in Cambridge seem very normal and I find it horrifically unsettling. I am disappointed to see how many people are acting like they don't care, but I am trying to focus on those who do.

      Delete