Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Great American Afghan

At the beginning of this year, my LYS asked if I would be willing to lead a knit-along for the Great American Afghan. I had never knit an afghan before and I love knit-alongs, so I gladly said yes.

Afghan1

This is a great project because each of the 25 squares is by a different designer and they use very different techniques. Who knew bobbles are so fun to knit? We're doing one square each month (not in the "official" order). This month we're working on the fourth square, which is all about what they call the "button stitch." It creates an interesting raised texture.

Afghan2

The cover of the book shows a multi-colored afghan, but I chose to make mine all in this light silver color. I think the monochrome palette gives it a more modern look.

What are you working on? Have you ever knitted bobbles? I think they are really fun to knit, but I don't picture myself wearing them.

Want to join us? It's not too late!

2 comments:

  1. We have knit a number of afghans at my work (we being my coworkers and I) for whenever a baby is born...Everyone chooses a different pattern (usually), and then the blocks are seamed together. I've discovered that I really enjoy the freedom given to choose my own pattern and still have it easily incorporated with all of the others in to the whole - much like this book you're describing. It's a great way/opportunity to take a leap at something new - that you might not use or try otherwise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a wonderful gift for a new baby, truly a community project! Love it! I am definitely impressed by all the different techniques the designers managed to cram into this afghan.

      Delete