Monday, September 24, 2012

Today is the First Day

gathering
Scan of a polaroid photo taken at Squam by Mommijune

Yesterday was my birthday. A quiet Sunday spent at home watching back-to-back episodes of Walking Dead while making a mess of my kitchen with dyeing (I didn't go to the studio so I could stay home with Nate). It's nice that Squam and my birthday were so close together, because its gave this whole month a feeling of "new beginnings" and a shifting mindset.

Wish . . .
Photo of the wish tree from Squam by West of Whimsy

One night at Squam, we had a presentation with author Maya Stein. She shared stories and photos of her experiences as she worked on her book, Type Rider. A particular image stuck with me: a photo of her typewriter, with a piece of paper in it. Typed on it was one of the writing prompts she used for her project. I don't remember the whole prompt, but I will always remember two lines: "Today is first the day. Today is the first the day."

l o v e
Photo from Squam by MeeganZ

I am a planner and a list-maker. I like knowing what is coming, and I tend to have my schedule booked months in advance. Having a small handmade business has only reinforced this part of my personality. But being at Squam forced me to be present. I wasn't worrying about what would happen the next day, the following week, or the next month; and there was a sense of peace that came with this feeling of being present. I find the phrase, "today is the first day" to be empowering (even if my cynical side cringes a little at that word). It can be a commitment to do something - "today is the first day of x" or simply an affirmation: Today is the first day.

So what does this have to do with my birthday? Here is to a new year, a year of learning to be present in the present and not losing sight of today because of the future.

Today is the first day.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Ana! This was an absolutely lovely post and I hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracey!! How great to hear from you!! Thank you for the bday wishes, I hope you're doing awesomely!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely sentiment, especially at the beginning of a new year for you. Congrats and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am really hoping I manage to hold on to this feeling and turn into a new attitude rather than a fleeting moment :)

      Delete
  3. Happy (late) birthday! It was a pleasure to meet you at Squam :D I hope the magic stays with you throughout your new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari!!! How wonderful to hear from you! It was super nice to meet you too! I hope your friend liked the yarn :)

      Delete
    2. hi!! haha! once i got home i decided i *needed* a light fall cowl in that exact color, so one is in the works ;D i will have to buy a different yarn for my friend now!

      Delete
    3. Haha, I've definitely done that before! You'll have to show me your cowl when you're done!

      Delete