Thursday, May 8, 2014

The hard stuff: Managing Expectations

I was ready yesterday to write my usual Wednesday blog post showing you what I am working on, but something happened. Almost two months after a trunk show, I received some upsetting feedback from the venue. 

A customer had returned to the venue to announce she would "never buy Toil & Trouble yarns again." The reason? She had purchased 5 skeins, and I had not offered her a free pattern. 

This comes back to a discussion that happens over and over in the world of small businesses and handmade. My friend Liz talked about paying for handmade a while back, and I discussed it again in terms of paying for knitting. Inevitably, as a professional artist or artisan, you end up thrown into the role of educator. We find ourselves repeatedly having to explain the value of our work.

homepage2

I love what I do. I work hard at it and I am thankful to be able to make a (tight) living with my fiber company, and I am very aware that this is because of my wonderful customers. But sometimes I wonder if my customers realize that their every purchase literally allows me to pay for a place to live every month, and for groceries every week. 

Even though this customer did not leave her name behind, I remember her well. I remember her face, her name, what she bought, and the discussion we had about the pattern she was interested in knitting. I truly value customer interaction and remember every single one of your faces, even if I'm not great with all your names. We had a very pleasant exchange. There was no "buy x skeins and get a free pattern" deal posted. She never made any requests of the sort to me at the time. But she returned to the venue two months later to express her dissatisfaction that I had simply not made the offer. 

There are some important questions that I feel consumers of handmade need to ask themselves before asking for discounts or free items:

"How would I feel if someone asked me to work for free?"
It takes me days, even weeks, to come up with a pattern idea, make a sample piece (sometimes several sample pieces), write and re-write the pattern, format it, photograph the sample, have the pattern thoroughly test-knitted and tech-edited. So, how would you feel if someone felt entitled to getting the product of many days/weeks of your hard work for free?

"How would I feel if my boss asked to pay me less this month?"
"How would I feel if my boss said he wanted me to work 8 hours, but would only pay me for 6?"
Every free item, every discount, very literally takes money away from my pocket. With the yarn I dye, I pay for the raw wool, for the dye, for the water and electricity I use to dye it, for the labels I attach to it. Every pattern costs me supplies to make the sample and tech editing fees. Also, there is the less visible cost of my time and labor. 

"Would you go into a supermarket, restaurant or clothing store expecting gifts?"
If often feels like these expectations only happen when doing business with small companies. I ask myself if this person goes to a restaurant and is upset when she isn't offered free dessert. Does she go into a store like J. Crew and feel slighted when they don't offer her a free shirt with the pants she just bought?

There are companies that purposefully hike their prices. They do this so they can run frequent promotions and give the illusion of offering a bargain, while keeping their profit margins intact. There are companies that raise prices to cover the costs of giving out freebies, so they are in fact not free at all. I prefer to price fairly from the get go. When I do offer a discount, I am making a conscious decision to earn less money that day/week. 

Making a living as an artisan is not an easy task, and is made entirely possible due to customers. I am so thankful for each and every one of you. But at the end of the day, I need to make sure my business is financially viable. And I hope this is something you can understand. I welcome your thoughts on this, as small business owners and/or as consumers. 

30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Becky. This was not an easy post to write, but one that I felt needed to be written.

      Delete
  2. Well said indeed. From another perspective - I bought a small piece of artwork recently. The seller included an additional piece, which actually I don't like, it's not the same quality as the piece I chose and I will probably throw it away. I checked and saw the same "free" piece is offered for sale in her shop at around half the price of the piece I bought - so why oh why did she send it to me? Somehow I feel the piece I *did* choose to buy was not worth the price I paid - or why would the seller feel the need to send extra? We should all stand by our work, it's worth the price we charge. There is (or should be) no need for freebies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, and very well said on your part too. The market has created such fear on the behalf of sellers that many feel like they need to give the customer more than what they're paying for. A friend of mine actually got feedback on Etsy that the customer loved the product but was disappointed that there was no freebie included. The saying is "you get what you pay for," not "you get more than you pay for," so why is this even a thing?

      Delete
    2. yep, I've heard that too. before long we'll be expected to hand over our firstborns...

      Delete
  3. I wonder-would she have still purchased the yarn if she knew you would not give her a free pattern?
    *Some* people feel entitled to free things because they are so used to seeing them offered as gimmicks, or lures to draw people into buy something. Personally I'd rather be careful about buying quality items and knowing that the hand dyed yarn I get from an independent dyer is doing much more good then the skein I get at/or from a chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why she assumed she would be getting a free pattern since that wasn't advertised anywhere... The galling part is that the venue was offering a "buy 5 get the 6th free" deal, so she did get a free skein of yarn from another brand for her purchase. So in addition to the free gift she got, she wanted ANOTHER free gift from me directly.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I love buying handcrafted "art" from local/ independent artists and I include hand dyed yarn and fiber products as art. There are times that I find beautiful things and I just can't afford them at the time. So I wait. I would never think to ask for a discount or something free. Since that woman was buying yarn I'm thinking she knits or crochets? She has to know what is involved in creating something and how much work is involved, right? I wonder how she would feel if someone asked her to knit something for free. People amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Suzanne. It is so encouraging to know there are people out there who get it.

      Delete
  6. Nicely said! As much as I love a freebie, how can you get mad about not getting something that wasn't offered? I love buying from independent artists like you and as a newer knitter it's very interesting to hear what goes into creating a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! This was a hard blog post to write, but I am hoping that this bit of transparency helps folks understand what happens behinds the scene in a small artisan business.

      Delete
  7. 2 months later she marches in mad that you didn't give her a free pattern that you neither advertised nor did she ask for?

    There are certain customers that you don't WANT to keep. This is a fine example of one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. I was so shocked that I actually started to question myself and wonder whether I had been in the wrong. The outpouring of support is really amazing.

      Delete
  8. I never expect freebies and am always shocked, pleasantly surprised and completely grateful when given them. Do they make me more likely to purchase from the location/vendor? No. Does my purchase depend on it? No. It's a bonus that I'm glad to receive, but it really doesn't (and shouldn't) matter or be expected - ever. To be so calloused, ungrateful and unappreciative of what they purchased, as to want something free in addition, is to show a lack of class, poor upbringing and proof of their self-serving nature. Some people are never satisfied, never happy - don't let the few bring you down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. It can sometimes feel like someone like this speaks for the majority, so I appreciate the reminder that this is not the case.

      Delete
  9. Eff. That. Crazy. Woman. I was going to say crazy lady, but she is clearly not a lady to come back months later in a huff that she wasn't treated like the special snowflake she thinks she is.

    You know what was a wonderful free gift from you? The handwritten thank you note I received with my Ent yarn, because I purchased that skein on Etsy. You know what else is lovely? When I see you at a trunk show and we catch up while I wipe out the yarn you brought with you. These are the free things I expect from hand dyers, because I know it all costs money. I think we both know I'm grumpy when I see a yarn I want and my budget says no (luckily that's not the case as much lately), but that's a grump at the circumstance, not a grump at you, or any other dyer.

    I ordered some yarn the other day and when it arrived, there were two beautiful stitch markers included in my parcel. I wrote to the dyer and said there must have been a mistake, I didn't order them, where can I send them back. Joke's on me, they were a gift, but clearly that is not a thing I expect, AND NEITHER SHOULD MISS GROUCHALOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! It's meeting lovely people like you that make me love running my business. Sometimes situations like this make me want to distance myself from "public interaction" but then I remember all the amazing people I get to meet.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful article and very well put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise. All the amazing feedback I've received is so encouraging!

      Delete
  11. To me, it's a nice surprise to get a freebie. But I fully expect to pay for yarn and pattern, and any other incidentals needed for my project. Maybe because I know that any kind of work like this is valuable... it takes time, effort, energy, supplies, and who knows what else for our projects. A nice thanks you is all I expect. Friendly conversation, a pattern hint.... all are appreciated. A free pattern.... umm, nope, don't expect it... but suitably appreciative if I happen to get one. I'd never return 2 months ... or 2 minutes, for that matter ... complaining that I didn't get something for free. What a witch! Hope she holds to her promise to never buy from you again! CUSTOMERS LIKE THAT--YOU DON'T NEED THEM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! So encouraging to know there are folks out there who get it :)

      Delete
  12. I don't knit, own anything that I think is hand knitted. But I live your post. Hooray for you for standing up and saying this. I teach and am displeased with the "gimme culture" that we live in. I, like previous posts mentioned don't mind a freebie but know its a gift----not an expectation to be fulfilled. May your business flourish under the graciousness of kind customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexis, thanks so much for your kindness!

      Delete
  13. I don't expect nor ask for a freebie. I buy a lot (too much?) of yarn from indies and it never occured to me to expect anything in addition to the yarn. What pleases me is the happy reaction I get from a supplier when I show what I made with the yarn. Even then I don't expect more than a smile or a thank you. My goodness, there's so many free patterns out there, why would someone get so bent out of shape? No pleasing some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always so wonderful when a customer brings me a project they've made with my yarn! Thank you for understanding that appreciation doesn't have to mean freebies.

      Delete
  14. Ana,
    Thank you for the gift of this post. And enjoy playing with your yarn and colors.

    ReplyDelete