Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pattern Review: Another Gramps Cardigan

Pattern Review: Gramps Cardigan by Kate Oates

I made this cardigan in the 6 month-old size for a friend's baby shower last weekend. I was on kind of a tight timeline to take on a cable-intensive project, but I couldn't resist the adorableness.

I used Berroco Comfort DK, which is 50% Superfine Nylon, 50% Superfine Acrylic (my friend is vegan). The yarn is very soft, but I would call it a fingering weight rather than DK. It worked out fine (it made for a lighter fabric), but I wish the yarn had been truer to the labeled weight.

Gramps1

The pattern calls for 370 yards, but I ended up using less than 350 yards - maybe because of the yarn weight discrepancy. The gauge and finished dimensions were still correct. The pattern itself is lovely. I ended up modifying the cable pattern so that the cables would be mirrored on each side, rather than all going in the same direction.

Gramps2

The only complaint I have is that the pattern gives no clear indication of how to end the cables when you start the neckline decreases. It just tells you to follow the cable pattern for as long as possible, so it leaves you to kind of make it up.

The verdict: Love this project. The finished piece is super cute, and I will definitely make it again for future little ones. There's a grown-up version of this pattern too, but I don't know if it's quite as cute in the larger format.

gramps
Photo borrowed from Ravelry

What do you think? Should I made a full-sized version for myself?

2 comments:

  1. Soooo adorable. I love seeing what you ended up using this yarn for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend is very lucky, it is gorgeous! I think the grown-up version looks really nice as well. Look forward to seeing what you decide!

    Bev || Linkouture

    ReplyDelete