Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On Writing a New Pattern (And Losing to Hyper-Creativity)

1

So you may have heard that last Friday was I Love Yarn day. I was minding my own business on Twitter (ok, I was procrastinating) when Gather Here tweeted about their special I Love Yarn sale. My insane yarn addiction immediately kicked I made a mature, informed decision to go in and spoil myself with some Shibui. My schedule is pretty much 120% booked until January with shows and stocking shops, but I told myself I would save this until after the holidays and make myself something pretty as reward.

Then it happened. The Shibui yarn started haunting me, with its pretty warm purple tones. I got so distracted daydreaming about it that I started making mistakes on the knitting I should be working on. I pulled out my swift and winder and said, "this way I can interact with it a little, then I'll put it away." So I wound the yarn into pretty little balls and put them on the table, to put away in the closet later. Long story short: an hour later I had whipped out some spare needles and was casting on. Instead of just making any old thing, I semi-justified this misbehavior by deciding to write a new pattern to release after the holidays. Even though I abandoned my immediate to-do list, I was still being productive for my business so it's okay, right?

3

And here we are. Itch partially scratched, and a new infinity scarf pattern in the works. The next sample will be in a my super-squishy Merino/Cashmere/Nylon Sock in a light color to show off the stitching better, and then I'll be offering free yarn to a few pattern testers. Any takers?

2

On another note - after I assembled this post, I came across this article: Too Many Ideas in your Mind? Let Your Hyper Creative Mind To Achieve Success. Very convenient timing, no? I lost the hyper-creativity battle this time around, but maybe this will help me stay focused until January. If you read it, I'd love to know what you think!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pattern, I'm still pondering the appropriate use of the gorgeous yarn I purchased....hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hrm, looks like my response disappeared? Thank you Shelley! I look forward to seeing what you make!

      Delete
  2. Unreal lovely and elegant. So many wows for this, Ana. The color and the pattern are to die for. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that rich reddish-purple looks so soft and awesome. I've never done pattern testing before, but if it involves any of your yarn, I'd offer my services. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EmKay, have you worked with any of my yarn before? If you email me at toiltrouble(at)gmail(dot)com, I'll add you to the pattern testing list :)

      Delete