Monday, October 1, 2012

Squam, Part 2: Classes!

Even though I feel like I could talk about Squam endlessly, I am going to wrap it up in this post. I talked about the indescribable feeling of change that came from the retreat and about a personal lesson. A lot of learning happens outside the scheduled classes, but the "real" classes are pretty fabulous too.

The first class was with Helene, the fabulous food photographer behind the Tartelette blog. Helene is French born and raised, and now lives in the southern US. Love her and her sassy French/southern accent! She taught a cupcake baking and photography class. I admit I didn't realize how focused on the photography portion the class would be, but I really wanted to learn how to bake cupcakes (I am a bit challenged in the baking department). In the end, I did learn how to bake cupcakes, but I also learned a lot about styling photo shoots. I had no idea how much work can go into it!

Squam - Cupcakes
Squam - Cupcakes
Squam - Cupcakes
Squam - Cupcakes

My second class, Simple Screen Printing, was with Heather Moore - the creative genius behind Skinny Laminx. I knew of Heather's work before Squam and it was super exciting to meet her in person. Heather was amazingly sweet, friendly and completely adorable. She taught us how to make simple screens out of embroidery hoops, and Lotta Jansdotter was in my class!

Squam - Screenprinting
Squam - Screenprinting
Squam - Screenprinting
Squam - Screenprinting
Squam - Screenprinting

It was a truly wonderful retreat and I can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

  1. your photos are GORGEOUS-- I love love love the energy and beauty you captured here -xo, e

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, Ana. Drooling over the icing photo, those perfectly simple screen printed fabrics, and your whole experience! xo

    ReplyDelete