Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Ender's Game and New Patterns

Since they finally made an Ender's Game movie, I decided I had to read the book before the movie came out. I made it through the book in a few days, while taking some breaks to work on a sweater collar. Size US 1 needles and repeating cables - I really hope I love this sweater when it's done.

Ender

I honestly avoided this book because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype. I was glad to find it well-written. It is a very interesting commentary on the human mind, manipulation, and ethics. I was also impressed with the foresight Orson Scott Card had in terms of technology, since this was originally written in the late 1970s. In the end, I wasn't surprised by the "twist," which I had already guessed at, but I am definitely looking forward to the movie adaptation. I know people tend to have very strong opinions about this book, and I'd love to hear yours.

New Patterns

I've also been busy planning a series of classes, which I'll be teaching at Seed Stitch Fine Yarn this fall and spring. Classes include the basics of shawl design, working through my Nimue Wrap pattern to learn chart reading and cables, and some other basics. I designed some cozy mitts and a simple slouchy hat for the classes, but these patterns are also available on Ravelry.

Who wants to take a class with me?

2 comments:

  1. I've read "Ender's game" like three of four times (and the other 9 or 10 books of the saga) and I love it. Off course I'm reading it again just before the movie. I hope you've enjoyed it. I think it's not only Card's ideas but also his writing what makes this people be loved by some people. And I have to say that I'm a sci-fi eater :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it! And now I've started Ender's Shadow. I'm about 1/4 in, and Bean's story is sad and interesting.

      Delete