Monday, June 27, 2011

Homemade: Freezer Jam

Did you guys know about freezer jam? I hadn't heard about it until last week. When the lazy person in me realized I could make jam with 15 minutes of effort and no cooking, I had to try it. So Friday night I mixed up a quart of strawberries, 4 cups of sugar, lemon juice and some pectin. By Saturday afternoon, I had delicious fresh jam. And all I had to do was let it sit out on the counter.

1
2
3
4

Next time I would like to try the low sugar version, but overall I highly recommend freezer jam. So much easier to make, and it tastes fresher because the fruit isn't cooked. Have you ever tried it?

One thing I noticed was that most packets of pectin won't say "freezer jam" on them but will list ingredients for both regular cooked jam and a "quick and easy" version. The quick and easy version is freezer jam, so don't worry if you can't find "freezer jam pectin."

2 comments:

  1. Oh heck yeah! My grandmother has always been making this stuff. I have a jar she made me at home, actually :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to "grownup jam" (aka cooked jam), but for now I'm liking the lazy route! Nate can't stop eating it :o)

    ReplyDelete