Thursday, November 1, 2012

After the Storm

It's a strange thing, figuring out this whole "first blog post after a natural disaster" thing. We were extremely fortunate. The whole Boston metro area was very fortunate compared to areas like New York and New Jersey, but our home was especially lucky. We didn't lose any power, or internet, or water. Our trees lost some branches, but they didn't cause any damage. Now that the storm is gone, I feel both thankful for my good fortune and heartbroken for those who were less fortunate.

P1110514
Image borrowed from Elizabeth Duvivier

It's so bizarre to see how quickly life jumps back to it's regular pace. Tuesday morning, the Boston public transit system went back to functioning, and a couple of hours later you could hardly tell what had happened the day before. The city went back to talking about work deadlines, chores, and gossip, because it's easy to forget about all the devastation when it's not right in front of you. People are calling the storm a "dud" and criticizing the city of Boston for "over-reacting" - like there is such a thing as over-reacting to an unpredictably destructive force of nature.

Even though life keeps moving forward here, there is plenty those of us who were fortunate can do. Gather Here will be hosting a Red Cross fundraising effort and several local makers will be donating prizes. More information will be posted on their blog on Friday.

Wishing all of you well and hoping you are safe, warm and healthy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your home was spared. I know people in Beverly and Abington who weren't so lucky. I'm glad to see so many people chipping in to help with the relief efforts. My friends in NY will thank all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly feeling blessed by how lucky we were! I'm so glad Virginia is putting this together and happy I can participate. Glad you are safe too!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to know about the fundraiser and would love to donate to it as well. Also glad you're safe and that I know friends who care about others. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lara, I'm sure Virginia will be thrilled to have one of your pieces for the fundraiser! XOXO

      Delete
  3. Really happy we can put our energies towards positively impacting the lives of others through small efforts at home. Glad you are participating! More deets to come...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for doing this, glad I can contribute! I am leaving for Twist (Northampton) tomorrow and back Saturday night. I'll be on the lookout for the details.

      Delete