Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Transitioning

EDITED: I am no longer managing the studios originally mentioned in this post, or at all affiliated with the organization. Due to serious ongoing issues with the landlord, several of us left. I wish the remaining artists the best of luck, but I am stripping any information regarding name, location, and links from my blog because I do not wish to send this landlord any traffic. There has been much heartache associated with this situation, and I am happy to answer any questions privately.

Even though the news has sort of been out for a few days now, I've been avoiding writing this post. It's not an easy post to write, because I am both excited about this new chapter, but sad to be leaving something wonderful behind.

3
The day I moved into Western Avenue Studios

I moved out of my studio at Western Avenue Studios this weekend. This is not a decision I made lightly. I spent months thinking about it. WAS is a wonderful place, filled with amazing people, and I'm really sad to leave this community. Someone else has already taken over my studio, which is a strange feeling. But I had to accept the reality that I live 45 minutes away, and it had become very hard for me to be in the studio as often as I need to. If I got to the studio and realized I forgot something at home, it was an ordeal. So as much as I love WAS, and the people at WAS, I chose to find a studio closer to home.

Beverly

This brings me to the happy news. A friend sent me news that a new studio community was opening in [location removed], and I immediately called them up. Long story short, I am now the new Studio Coordinator at [information removed]. It's a brand new project, and we are in the process of leasing out studios and cleaning up the place (taking out old abandoned furniture, ripping up carpeting).

Cabot1

This is going to be my studio. The old rug is coming up, and so is the vinyl flooring - there's wood flooring underneath! The shelves I am undecided about. The best part? I get my own sink!

So here I am, happy, sad, excited, a little heartbroken, and anxious for the building to be ready for move-in. We are planning an opening reception for early September, and I hope to see you there!

10 comments:

  1. Oh a new beginning full of bright and shiny possibilities. Good luck my dear. If I was closer, I'd send you a good luck jade plant. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! I accept virtual jade plants :) I am bad with real plants anyway... heh!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on walking through a new door. Being closer to home will make using studio time sooooooooo much easier. A SINK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so rare to find a studio with a private sink!! :D

      Delete
  3. That sounds challenging but perfectly reasonable. Your new space is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to come visit!

      Delete
    2. I would love to. Beverly is easy for me to get to by public transportation. We came very close to living there. Good luck with the renovations.

      Delete
    3. There's a bus from Salem that stops right in front of the studios :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I just heard about those studios. Enjoy your new space, it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete