Thursday, July 7, 2011

Boston: Bead + Fiber and Wire Knitting

A couple of weeks ago I took a wire-knitting class at Bead + Fiber, which is a store specializing in beads and fiber (duh) with a large yarn collection. They're also located right across from Grey's Fabric. Basically, if you come to Boston and like arts and handmade, you should visit the Sowa neighborhood.

Anyway, here are some photos I shot during the wire knitting class. I learned how to make a beaded wire bracelet.

1
2
3
4
5

The verdict? I'm not sure this type of knitting is for me. The result is very organic and "messy" for lack of a better word, and the perfectionist in me had a hard time with it. Also, its like regular knitting except it makes your fingers hurt! But in about an hour you can make a cute bracelet, so I might be trying this again when gift-giving season rolls around.

Have you ever tried wire knitting? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. Considering I can't knit to beginwith, I've definitely never wire-knit hah. It's cool looking but I don't think it's something I'd ever be able to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't knit, but I crochet. I saw a couple books on wire crocheting, and I was interested. I might check it out sometime, but I'm not sure if I'll like it. But I love the look of the finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celynne, that's kind of how I feel about it after trying it. It's cool, but it's going to be a once-a-year kind of craft for me.

    Brianna, I wonder if wire crocheting is harder because crochet stitches have so many more loops than knitting. Wire isn't as forgiving as yarn since it doesn't stretch, which is kind of a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same as Celynne - I can't even knit, so I don't think I can do this. I do like bead work though.

    14 Shades Of Grey

    ReplyDelete