Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pattern Review: Featherweight Cardigan

Featherweight

Pattern: Featherweight Cardigan by Hannah Fettig
Yarn: Toil & Trouble British Falkland Merino / Nylon Sock in Beneath the Olive Trees

Rather than give myself until Squam in June to finish this, I decided I wanted to wear it to my trunk show during the North Shore Yarn Crawl in a couple of weeks.

This is a lovely pattern. It's very easy to follow, and is a great "blank canvas" to work off and create your own design. The original pattern called for 10" of length below the sleeves, but I didn't want a cropped cardigan. I added 6" in length to have it hit at the hip. I am very happy with the fit and drape. I opted for a ribbed collar rather than the rolled collar shown in the original design.

I used 2 skeins of 465 yards each, and had a bit left over at the end. The pattern calls for US size 6 needles, but I had to go down to US size 4 to get gauge. I was surprised by this as I am not a loose knitter.

If I make this cardigan again, I will be modifying the shoulders a bit. The pattern starts the sleeve caps with just 2 stitches, and ends with 2 stitches under the arms. I think having at least 4 stitches would make for a better-fitting shoulder, and put less strain on the stitching in the armpits.

All in all, I absolutely love it, and can't wait to wear it at the Yarn Crawl! Have you made this cardigan?

Speaking of the yarn crawl... Like last year, I will be hosting a hand-dyed yarn trunk show at Seed Stitch in Salem on Saturday, March 16th. I'll be there all day with new colorways and new yarn bases, including two luscious DK weights! Hope to see you there!

There's a special bonus if you do come - If you bring a finished piece to show off knit in my yarn, you get 10% off your purchase at the trunk show! I love a knitted show-and-tell.

2 comments:

  1. I'll try to make it to Salem next weekend. I'm coming to your blog from Ysolda's class. It would be fun to meet you, and look at some great yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, if you do make it to Salem for the crawl, definitely come up and introduce yourself! :)

      Delete